Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Nike Women's Marathon 2009

Well a quick update.... Mom is doing well, she is talking and moving around with a walker. She should be able to go home around the end of this week sometime or even early nest week.

Well in October I went and ran a half marathon in San Fransisco. My mom, sister and I have done this marathon before and the best part is the Tiffany and Co. necklace at the end.

So here are some pictures, (of mostly my sister and I), mom could only walk the last 100 feet. She did this so she could get a necklace!!

This is where we had to check-in and get our race packet. There is tons of free stuff, we are hanging out by the Girahdelhi Chocolate counter get a taste of each type of square.

This is the traditional heart that is at union square that has become a traditional picture to take.

This is the Bear in the Macy's Christmas section giving me a high five for running a half-marathon.


And this is my mom, sister and me with the one who started it all. The Central Coast TNT Manager Barbara Saia.

This trip was extremely special.... We got to go see WICKED! So my mom asked Lisa and Elaine some old friends of ours, and they must of played the "she has a heart problem" card to get us those tickets. We got to sit pretty close and it was totally the best Broadway I have ever seen.
My aunt and cousins came too, and my mom's friend Anna who we stayed with in San Fransisco.

I got in trouble for taking a picture inside, oh well....

This is us by the painted on Wicked posters outside the theater.

Well the following pictures of the actual race and other activities related to the race. Again they are all of Lindsey (my sister) and I because my mom wasn't able to run it with us. The theme of the race is RUN LIKE A GIRL. Its so empowering, especially when you hear mom's yelling "You are running to save my daughters life!" The race is to fund research for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. But this year I was unable to fund-raise for it, I got in through a lottery drawing.

This picture is before the race even starts at around 5:00 am. The streets of downtown San Fransisco are filled with people (aka women). there are about 4-5 blocks of people packed in the streets waiting for the race to start.

As the race starts there are different start times. So when we get through the start line its already been like 15 minutes.

There is so much going on, people cheering, bums yelling, and there are even choir singers and bag pipe players all with Nike shoes on!

This is are traditional picture with the Golden Gate Bridge, well Golden Gate FOG that is! Oh how I love the fog and miss it!

I tend to dance to all the DJ's that play music throughout the race.

Well here are some more shots of the race. I was not wanting to take pictures because I was feeling the hurt for sure at mile 8 or so.


Well not training for a half-marathon (13.1 miles!) was a bad idea. But I survived and I am doing great now. I had a great time and I know that I will try for the lottery of the race again for sure. When I have the time and the means, I'd love to raise the money to go with Team in Training again (TNT).

Proof that I RAN LIKE A GIRL!





2 comments:

BTO said...

oh meg meg meg.
I am so glad to hear that your mom is doing better.

Super jealous of you. Next time you guys sign up let me in! I want to do it so so bad

Ashley said...

Way to-go Meghan!! You are my hero. I'm glad you guys got to go and I'm glad your mom is doing well.

Colored Rays Background